Thursday 23 June 2011

My Heart is My Own

13 March    The little indispositions of life are essential to happiness. Uninterrupted felicity never fails to cloy, indeed there is very little pleasure without preceding pain.

25 March    In the evening saw a multitude of pretty faces. But my heart is my own.

2 August    First ate Watermelons.

5 August    Finished reading Dr Blairs Lectures. Excellent Criticism!

12 August    Read a little Law and some poetry. If a man lays up a few ideas every day and arranges them, it is enough.

16 August    Mortified to find my eyes too weak to study. But if I cannot devote my time to books, I can to the Ladies.

16 October    My birthday. 26 years of my life are past. I have lived long enough to be good and of some importance.

25 October    Started the idea of dancing tomorrow.
26 October    Invited the Company, had a brilliant Assembly and an agreeable evening.
27 October    Much fatigued.
- From the diary of Noah Webster, 1784

No comments:

Post a Comment