Tuesday 15 February 2011

Blue Valentine


O title of film, you mock me. This is a film that will affect you pretty differently depending on your own feelings, the status of your own relationships now and behind you. So it's some sort of rorschach test maybe. The point is it's, more than most films I think, heavily "identifiable": perhaps that means the characters are too much "types," a male type and a female type even. But they are characters too, it's just that we see them in a framework - the beginning and end of their love - that makes them also containers for the meaning of those times, to us or everyone.

It is sad to watch the end of a love that you are also seeing born at the same time, but longer ago. That's why it is blue, depressing. But the people I went to see it with found it entirely depressing, while I didn't. They're less jaded, I think, although that might be patronising. From what I know, neither of them have experienced the end of love quite like this, while I think I have. I think most people probably have, but I might be wrong - maybe most people just don't have such a good love, or if they do they don't lose it, it does not break down. So I can see how a film that shows that happening could be quite terrifying.

But some of us live in a world where that does happen, or has happened once (more than once? Can that happen?). And to us I think the film says something a little different. It reminds us that for all the sadness there was an equal, maybe a greater portion of joy. Just because that came before, and the badness came later, that doesn't mean that one is more important or more real than the other. That is the magic of film, which can cut time up and stick it back together in new ways, to tell different truths.

There is just as much happiness as sadness in a failed love. So don't say that it's not worth it. It's always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment