Tuesday 1 March 2011

Only to inflame himself more

Monday, October 24, 1757

This day near Sunset Landon Carter came home.
I, with great mildness, asked him if he did not think that, as he was to go up to Bull Hall tomorrow, he ought to have staid at home to have taken my directions with regard to my affairs. And if he did not think this sauntering about from house to house, only to inflame himself more by visiting a woman that he knew I would never consent to his marrying, would not ruin him, - and was contrary to his duty?
He answered very calmly, No.
Then, Sir, be assured that - although you will shortly be of age - if you do not henceforward leave her, you must leave me.
His answer, Then, Sir, I will leave you.
On which I bid him be gone out of my house.
He took up his hat, and sayd so he would, as soon as he could get his horse; and went off immediately without showing the least concern, no not even to turn round.
This I write down the moment it passed that I might not through want of memory omit so singular an act of great fillial disobedience in a child that I have thought once my greatest happyness - but as a just father kept it concealed.

- the diary of Landon Carter,
quoted in Rhy Isaac, Landon Carter's Uneasy Kingdom

No comments:

Post a Comment