Tuesday 8 March 2011

Stories and Feelings

So I had an 'epiphany' the other day. I wrote it on Twitter. Here:
Walking along Observatory St in the sun, thought I always seem to be moving between feelings. Seems obvious. But felt like 'epiphany'.
Thinking about it more, I think maybe this is something relevant to my writing. To write a novel or a story there has to be movement. I guess even if it's about a lack of movement, a going nowhere, that can presumably only be effective against a background, an expectation of movement. My 'stories' (or whatever) are very short, they seem mainly to express one feeling. Even if they have an implied plot, where other feelings and actions are remembered or foreshadowed (which they often do), that's not really the same as writing the movement of feelings in 'real time.' Somehow doing that seems like the step I need to make, in order to write longer things.

No comments:

Post a Comment