Friday 14 January 2011

Happy Beautiful Sad

These were the opening lines of the introduction to Essays on Education in the Early Republic (1965). They struck me funny. I had been thinking of David Lodge and Changing Places a few days ago.
Anyone who has been to California recently knows that he is in the presence of the future. He may not like everything that he findss there, but he cannot escape a deep sense that this is where we have been heading all along - a world where everyone is young, including the aged and retired, and where no one works, except teachers. Californians either play in the sun or go to school, and many of them do both at the same time.




I wish I had more money to buy books. I would only buy new books, magazines, things you can't get from libraries. I just found this journal, part-free online; Caketrain:
You got sick on bad milk from a bucket, wore that flannel scarf through all the fevers that came. Like some old wash woman. Around your neck like a noose. As if wrung to the ceiling and sky. And it was funny when you put it over your mouth like you‘d been kidnapped in a movie, but I hated it over your eyes like a firing squad was coming. A luxury of bullets, the detailed ripping of smoke and red, and you, finally still.

- from "Farm," by Corey Zeller

No comments:

Post a Comment