Saturday 1 January 2011

New Year's Resolution

I just thought of one to add to the list. Come up with an interesting, if not exciting, way to describe my thesis in one sentence. No, resolutions don't have to be ongoing things. I've noticed that people who do English always have really cool one-sentence-theses. I was talking to someone about being a student the other day, I gave my current boring-sounding thesis spiel, and she switched the conversation by saying that her friend is doing a PhD 'on tales told after midnight' - that is, ghost stories and stuff. Then today I read of someone working on 'on hunger and art in Samuel Beckett, Paul Auster, and J. M. Coetzee.' I don't think it's just that topics in literature are just more interesting, although maybe that's a bit true. At least they won't get jobs (ouch! mean!).

No comments:

Post a Comment